Board of Selectmen
July 21, 2014
6:30 PM: Open meeting.
Quorum present: Peter Skorput (PS), Chair; Earl Moffatt (EM); Karen Zick (KZ). Also present: Admin Asst Mark Webber (AA). No press present.
Board reviews and approves previous meeting minutes.
Board reviews and approves weekly warrants.
6:45 PM: Chief of Police Rubino and Full-time Officer Rosario Messina meet with the Board to
discuss employment agreement/contract. Following a general discussion, it is decided and agreed by all that discussions will be postponed until the next meeting on August 4, 2014 and will be conducted in executive session as provided for under MGL Ch 23b.
7:00 PM: Resident Steve Sautman visits with the Board. Steve, as the new MBI/Wired West Town
representative, introduces himself and provides the Board with a brief update of activities after taking over for Jackie DelRossi and Pat Soldati. Board welcomes Steve and thanks him for volunteering his services and time.
Other business/discussion/action items:
- KZ asks that Highway Supt order some signs for the Village School grounds that remind people to leash and clean up after there dogs. She had received some complaints.
- KZ asks about scheduling of group soccer activities at Village School fields. AA will follow up with Berkshire Hills Youth Soccer coordinator Sean Flynn.
- KZ asks that a quote be obtained to replace a window in the gym which has been cracked for a number of years.
- KZ asks that the front areas of the Village School be trimmed and mulched.
- PS asks that the roofs at the Transfer Station be inspected and addressed for repairs.
- AA informs the Board that the leak at the Fire Station roof has been repaired by buildings and grounds supt.
- David Potter, Lenox Rd resident discusses options of extending and hooking in the new sewer main and Lenox Rd. He is referred to the Sewer and Water Commissioners who would be better able to provide specifics. David also asked if the Police could increase patrols and radar on Lenox Rd. as there seems to be a lot of speeders. Highway Supt will be asked to trim around speed posting signs to make them more visible.
- BHRSD School Committee member John Krahm meets with the Board and reviews a letter (attached) requesting that Gt. Barrington Road resident Kristen Piasecki be appointed to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of school committee member Carol Kuller. Following a brief discussion, EM makes a motion to appoint Mrs Piasecki to fill the vacancy. KZ seconds the motion. Vote taken, 4-0 in favor (with John Krahm voting jointly with the Selectmen).
- AA provides the Board with a sewer expansion project update. The work is essentially completed with testing completed. A small 'punchlist' of items is being created by the project engineer. Residents along the expansion route are now able to begin the hook-up process. Letters detailing the hook up process will be sent out shortly by the Sewer and Water Commission.
- Following a review, Board signs off on a sign permit application as presented by Eric Wilska for Shaker Mill Books on Depot Street.
- Parks and Recreation Committee members will attend the Board's next meeting for updates.
- The third and final Downtown Enhancements public information meeting will be held on July 24 at 6:30 PM. Project engineer Foresight Land Services will lead the presentation.
- Board discusses and approves the sending out of reminder notices that entertainment licenses are required by those business that have an alcoholic beverage license and also provide entertainment.
8:15 PM: There being no further business to come before the Board, KZ makes a motion to
adjourn the meeting. PS seconds the motion. Vote taken, 3-0 in favor.
Meeting minutes approved by:
__________________________ __________________________ ________________________
Peter Skorput, Chair Earl Moffatt Karen Zick